TIPS FROM THE MAN
HOME / Tips from the man
Winter Tires 101
Winter Tires can be the difference between making it out of your neighbourhood and working from home.
None of us want to be thinking about the reality that is winter here in the Great White North. Sadly, it is a fact of life, and as it approaches, more and more of us are going to be thinking about winter tires.
Maybe you’ve never had them before and don’t see why you should bother with them, maybe you’ve always put them on and can’t imagine driving in the winter without them, or maybe you’re due for new ones and can think of a million ways you’d rather spend your money than on winter tires. We get it. BUT, that doesn’t mean that there aren’t significant benefits to putting winter tires on your car. Winter tires provide improved traction, reduced insurance rates, and less build-up of snow on your tires. They can be the difference between making it out of your neighbourhood and working from home.
We’ve created a bit of a comparison chart to show you the differences that exist between the two types of tires. Take a look:
- TRACTION AND GRIP IN MILD WET AND SNOWY CONDITIONS
- SECURE HANDLING AND EVEN WEAR IN BOTH WET AND DRY CONDITIONS
- HARDER RUBBER COMPOUND
- TRACTION LOSS AT 7 DEGREES C AND BELOW
- TIRE CHANNELS CAN GET CLOGGED WITH SNOW AND SLUSH
- GOOD FOR TRACTION IN “NORMAL” CONDITIONS
- IMPROVED BRAKING PERFORMANCE
- PERFORMANCE IN ALL TYPES OF WINTER WEATHER
- DESIGNED TO STAY SOFT IN COLD CONDITIONS FOR BETTER GRIP ON SNOW AND ICE
- STAY PLIABLE AT LOW TEMPERATURES
- TREAD DESIGNED TO DECREASE SNOW BUILD UP ON TIRE
If you decide to get yourself some winter tires, keep in mind that we have good selection in our stores. If you already have them, we are more than happy to put them on for you. We’ll even store your all-seasons until you’re ready to put them back on.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE THESE TIPS…
Insurance companies in Ontario offer something called a Winter Tire Discount, offering drivers up to 5% off their annual auto insurance rate by installing winter tires on their vehicle.